Think of snacks as mini-meals.
Focus on whole foods from the five main food groups to satisfy hunger and give your body the extra energy it needs to perform.
POWER YOUR PERFORMANCE — WITH PRO + PRO
That means “protein + produce”. Get enough of each, and you’ll be sure to be on your game.
When energy is in high demand during intense training or after a competition, power up with added carbohydrates.
Here are a few suggestions on how to get what you need:
|Protein + Produce Combos||+ Carbohydrates for Extra Energy|
Grape + cheese kabobs
Add pretzels on the side
|Carrots or snap peas + hummus||Serve with whole grain pita chips|
|Tuna on cucumber slices||Stack on whole grain crackers|
|Banana + nut butter||Put on whole grain bread for a sandwich|
|Trail Mix||Add your favorite whole grain cereal to the mix|
|Fruit + yogurt||Sprinkle granola on top|
|Boiled egg on a small salad||Throw the salad in a whole grain wrap|
|Oranges + handful of almonds||Add popcorn|
|Small cup of soup or chili||Serve with crackers or over small baked potato|
Try This Snack: Pizza Cups
These two-bite wonders provide protein, produce and carbs for a winning combo!
- 1 package of tortillas
- 1/3 cup pizza sauce
- ½ cup chopped spinach
- ½ cup chopped bell pepper
- 1–1 ½ cups shredded mozzarella
- Preheat oven to 400 °. Spray a muffin pan with cooking spray and set aside.
- Using a cup or circular cookie cutter, cut out 12 circles from the tortillas making sure the circles are big enough to go a little up the edge of each muffin cup.
- Add 1 tablespoon of pizza sauce to each tortilla crust, then evenly distribute the cheese and toppings of choice.
- Bake for 10–12 minutes.
- Remove from oven and garnish with Italian seasoning (optional).